Time flies when you're having fun, and this morning as we were walking to Starbucks, we both agreed that marriage has gotten better and better with time. There have been lots of not-so-fun days, but even those are better with Brett!
6 years ago today I woke up in Thailand anticipating a day-long date with Brett. He had told me to be ready at 8 am. Well, there was only one problem. He had gotten very sick the night before. Date cancelled, right? Wrong. At 8 am, Brett was knocking at the door of my room asking if I was ready. I was still in bed. I told him we shouldn't go because he was so sick. Can you imagine what he was thinking? He then told our friend, "Leslie, I HAVE to take Lauren on this date today." She nodded, understanding that this could be THE day even though Brett was staying tight-lipped on the subject. She then came in to tell me to get ready to which I replied, "do you think I need to take a shower?" Can you tell I had no clue?
After convincing Brett, he agreed to go to the hospital. He had arranged a driver for us and we went first to the doctor. Everything was fine, but I never dreamed that going to the hospital would be part of my engagement story! We then drove probably about 3 hours to this beautiful national park. We went hiking and stopped to sit overlooking a waterfall. Brett then told me he had something for me. He pulled out a scrapbook of our relationship....old emails, pictures and lots of memories. And let me just say that Brett is not an artist, so I could tell the whole book was a labor of love. He went through each page with me and we laughed a lot. At the end there were lists of things he loved about me, verses that reminded him of me and answered prayers in our relationship. The last page said "I love you", and then he told me he loved me for the very first time. He then said a few more sweet things and asked me to marry him and I said "yes"! Then we went swimming in the waterfall...I held my left hand over the water the entire time scared to lose my new favorite piece of jewelry, (oh, and did I mention we had a picnic?) On the ride home we prayed together for the first time. It was one of the best days ever! Life has sure been an adventure since then!
I have only hard copies of pictures from that day, but here's a somewhat recent shot. Cheers!

I remember getting the "I'm engaged!" call in my first little one-bedroom apartment in Nashville...either late at night or early in the morning! Happy Engagement Day hope we get to catch up soon! Love you! - Mel (Blogger was only letting me post as "anonymous"?!?)
ReplyDeleteOh, Lauren! I have heard that story several times before, but I feel like I learned so many new things after reading it this time. You are such a precious couple and two of our dearest friends. Thank you so much for your birthday message. I just love you and can't wait to catch up!
ReplyDeleteI love this story!
ReplyDelete