12.03.2010

Meeting the neighbors

A few weeks after we arrived here, I met my neighbor in the stairwell. He lives directly above us, and we struck up a conversation. His English was incredible and he told me that he had a 3 year old daughter and he would love to have her play with Harrison sometime. Thrilled at the option to have a local friend for Harrison, I told him that would be great. We exchanged numbers. He told me at the end of our meeting that he would (again) like for his daughter to be around me and my son because she is afraid of foreigners and he wants her to get over her fear.

Months go by...

Last weekend, Wu Gang (said neighbor) calls and asks if now would be a good time for the kids to play together (it is very cultural to not plan even 5 minutes in advance). I apologize to him saying that Harrison is sick and now would not be a good time, but soon I would like for them to play. He explains to me that his daughter does not live with him all the time (also a very common occurrence here. He is not divorced, but he and his wife live in separate places so he can work in the city and she lives further out.) I apologize again and say now is not a good time.

5 minutes later...a knock on the door.

Me: "oh hello, Wu Gang! Oh, is this your wife? Oh, and is this your daughter? hi little friend! you are so cute!"

Little girl: Crying hysterically

Neighbor: gives us a present, meets Brett. Small talk. We discover the little tyke's English name is Mia

Brett & Lauren: "Hi Mia! Would you like to meet Harrison?? You're so cute! And so tall!" Smiling very big, trying to be inviting

Mia: Standing outside the door, crying hysterically.

Meanwhile, we have 2 guys staying in our home, they are coming in and out...she cries even harder as they pass by her.

Neighbor: "Well, we wanted her to at least meet you all so next time we can play. She is very scared of foreigners."

Me: "Why is she scared of foreigners?"

Neighbor: "Because her baby-sitter told her that foreigners eat children."

Oh....Okay.... Yeah, I don't think she'll be back.

Especially after I flashed my teeth at her about 42 times.

4 comments:

  1. OMG, I laughed out loud! Hope y'all are adjusting well. -Erin M

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! Poor little girl. Hopefully Harrison and her can be friends one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY WORD!!! I love it! I love the story, I love the culture, ALL of it! Can't wait to experience it with you friend! It was great to talk to you last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! omg. what an awful babysitter.

    ReplyDelete