4.12.2011

What a week (and it's only Tuesday)!

The mid-afternoon hour has held some surprises for us these last couple of days. First off, the last week or so has been really physical for me...lots of carrying kids, up and down stairs, little sleep, etc. So, I was tired for sure. Yesterday at about 3:30, I was in pain and thought I might be having some contractions. Afterward, I detected something that I should NOT re-name on the blog that happened to me right before I went into labor with Harrison. I freaked out and thought that labor was imminent. I called Brett in tears, who told me to call the doctor, who told me to come in. Then Brett rushed home and all 3 of us jumped in a cab and went. I was a mess the whole time having "gone there" in my mind. What if we have a preemie? In China? Where they don't do much to take care of premature babies?
However, "it" turned out to be just a fluke, a very disturbing and gross fluke, but a fluke nonetheless, and everything was fine. The doctor did not feel any contractions but said it would be normal if I did feel them with how busy my body has been. We heard the baby's heartbeat and I was so relieved. I told him I was sorry and he replied, "Why?" He is so kind and understanding, and told me to take it easy.
Having Harrison at the appointment was really sweet. When the doctor was checking my belly. H patted it too and said, "Mom, you okay?" Then he turned to the doctor as he was getting ready to put the doppler on my belly and said, "that not nice, you be nice to my mommy." After we left, my tears were tears of relief. Brett and I had scheduled a baby-sitter so we could grab a quick dinner. We decided to keep our date, but I did not have much time to get ready. So, as I was standing in the bathroom trying to de-nastify myself and put on some make-up, I said, "Brett, I'm sorry I won't look super cute for our date," to which Harrison replied, "Mommy, you look bee-ful." Such a sweet little man and he was so worried about me. Thankfully it was nothing.
But, today was another story. As I was re-filling the m&m jar for H's potty treats (and yes, I have an update on that), I took a few. As I was chewing, I thought, "Man, I got a hard m&m." It only took a few seconds to realize that it was not, in fact, the delicious m&m that I was dining on, but MY TOOTH. I broke my tooth on an m&m. Geez Louise.
Rewind to our time in Thailand...I went to the dentist and had to get a tooth worked on. They tried to work on it without novicaine(sp?) since I'm pregnant. About 30 seconds in, I was like, "you are crazy, please drug me." They gave me a very small amount. However, they also noticed that some of my back teeth were beginning to have cavities. Actually they said they were decaying, but I like the word 'cavity' better. They said to watch them and for sure get them checked out after the baby since I really could not get any more medicine injected into my gums.
So, today, I go to the dentist. Yes, a chinese dentist. Was I nervous? Slightly. I have had a recurring dream since I was about 12 that all my teeth fell out. I should not use the word dream, because it is truly a nightmare. That nightmare was reality today, and I am living in a foreign country, which intensifies the nightmare. (Insert bloodcurdling scream here). One time a couple years ago we were eating with Brett's sweet parents and his dad broke his front tooth on a fork. I remember having the thought, " I would just hate that."
Well, it happened. So, we go to the dentist, and she says, "oh, you're pregnant." I thought this could be an issue. Sure enough, it was. She could not give me "the injection" as she calls it. She checks out my poor broken tooth (molar, by the way) and says, "Lauren, it is very bad." Oh no. Like, bad as in, I need to have all my teeth removed? Like, bad as in, the cavity is under the gum, and you may need a root canal. (insert more screaming here). So, she cleans it out as best she can, but does not get all the decay and then caps it warning me that it might fall out (the cap, not the tooth, but I am not holding my breath, because I think I am on the verge of becoming toothless) and just to come back when it does. Oh dear.
So, she tells me if it stays in tact, then to get it fixed after the baby. Her exact words were, "once you have the baby, after you stop milking the baby, you can get the decay fixed." I had gauze in my mouth and really thought I was going to spit it out and die laughing at the term, "milking my baby", however, I think it is kind of catchy.
I told Brett that I fear that all of my teeth will fall out and that I will be in dentures before my next birthday which is a mere 2 months away.
Oh, the lengths we will go to for our children!
Pictures to come, and hopefully a less eventful rest of the week!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my sheesh! What a couple of days friend! So thankful little peanut dooley is still safe and sound in yout belly. I can't imagine how scary that must have been!
    And then the tooth---a chinese dentist can really play a large part in a nightmare. Will be praying that it stays capped until you stop milking your baby. I forgot how much I LOVE funny Chinese sayings!! Can't wait to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha..Lauren this is Leigh...somehow I am on the hubs google account... I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA!! Lauren, I miss you so much and reading your blog makes me miss you more. You are a great writer. I love milking my baby. I am SO sorry about your tooth. You are so brave.

    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete