My son is so precious to me.
I have loved every moment since birth.
Every season has been my favorite.
Which makes this one my favorite right now.
He is rapidly approaching age 5, and with everything in me, I want to slam on the brakes.
But, also, with everything in me, I am dying to see something new each day.
Today...we talked.
We talk every day. And every day it's special.
Here's a few things he said today.
I took him to Target with me. It was SO fun! And when we walked to the car, and I popped the trunk, he asked, "Mom? Can I help you?"
Melt.
Tonight, he asked me, "Mom, do I have a Grandpa?"
I replied, "Well, yes, honey, Pa and Pop are your Grandpas"
"They are Grandpas?!" "Yes!"
"Do I have Grandmas?"
"Yes, silly! Gran and Nana are your Grandmas!"
"Do I have Uncles?"
"Hare Bear, you KNOW you have uncles! You have Uncle Chris and your other Uncle Chris, and Uncle Dan, and You're about to have an Uncle Schuy, and you have your Uncle Kevin who lives in Heaven."
some more chatter....then, a few minutes later.
"Mommy, why did Kevin die?"
Oh, dear. Do I go into this now? What do I tell him?
"Well, buddy, God was finished with him on this earth." That is all he needs to know right now.
"Mommy, what did you do with him?"
"Me? With Uncle Kev? We....we.....we LAUGHED!"
"What else?"
"We went to the beach."
"What else?"
"We ate sushi!"
"What else?"
"I picked him up from football practice."
More questions...and my final answer was, "we danced together at Mommy and Daddy's wedding".
"But, I wasn't there! Was I still in your tummy?"
"Mommy, who will I marry?"
"Well, Harrison, God will bring you a girl that your heart loves."
"Whose heart does Daddy love?" "Mommy."
"Whose heart does Mommy love?" "Daddy."
"Mommy, what will her name be?"
"Oh, bud, I don't know! Only God knows! Maybe her name will be Sarah. Or Abigail. Or Samantha!"
"But, Mom! I don't know anyone named Samantha!"
My precious boy...he asks the greatest questions. I can only imagine what a great friend, and (maybe) husband he will be. He made me laugh and cry tonight. He is such a sensitive little guy. It used to worry me. But, I love every ounce of who God is making him.
And, Samantha, if you're out there, don't come knocking for at least 20 more years!!
Just a few minutes here
12 years ago

Choke choke. Im teary after this one. So sweet. I love seeing your heart for ministering to his even in the small conversations. A lucky boy! And a lucky Samantha!
ReplyDelete