Actually, I am so glad that we did not "set sail"....that's how the missionaries did it years ago and it took months...I think about how tough the 24 hours of travel is on us, and I can't imagine 3 months!
Anyhow, we left a week ago, and here we are! I must say that the morning of our flight, Brett and I were both unsure if we should actually even board the plane. The doubts were flooding in...'how can we go back?', 'Last year was SO hard', 'What are we supposed to do?' We were SO tired and coming off such a wonderful summer with SO much help, great time with family and friends, delicious food, and easier ways of doing things, so it was easy to question whether we should get on the plane.
However, we did. My parents drove us to the airport. My mom rode with Brett and the kiddos, and I rode with my dad and the suitcases. I was crying in the car, and Dad told me, "This is what you do....you need to go finish what you've started....this is right." And he prayed for me. It was so sweet and I will never forget that. My dad does not love that we live overseas, but I so appreciate that, in spite of what he thinks, he supports our work. He then escorted us up to security and gave us a double thumbs up until I couldn't see him anymore. 9 years ago when I first left to live overseas, his reaction was very different. I am thankful God can change hearts. I am also thankful that 9 years later, I get to live in parts of the world where the Lord is working speedily on changing lives. I am so unworthy to be used by Him, but I get to be used by Him. So thankful.
When I hugged my mom goodbye, as I was crying, she said, "Why are you crying? You're going home!" Again, so thankful to have SUCH a supportive Mom. I know it rips their hearts out to have their grandkids so far away, but I feel spurred on by her love and prayers and how much God has changed HER over the years as well.
Onto the flight....we were generously given buddy passes by a dear friend and got on the flight no problem. This is the first direct flight from Atlanta to China I have taken. It is SO nice to cut out a flight in between...we were given 5 seats to ourselves, so Brett sat with H and I sat across the aisle...We were in bulkhead, (which is key when flying internationally with children, by the way, so we were able to get a bassinet for Blythe....when we walked on the plane, we got "the look" from nearby passengers...no one wants to sit near a toddler or a baby. However, the kids did GREAT...we did get one look from a passenger when Harrison got whiny about getting a snack. We were sitting right behind first class and the guy actually got up and looked through the doorway and gave me a "what is his deal" look? Sheesh...he obviously does not have a child! But, I'm sure he felt a little entitled to a quiet flight since he was in Business Class. Thankfully, that was H's worst moment. He was SO big and kept himself busy coloring and watching TV and doing flash cards with Brett. He slept for about 7 hours and since we were in bulkhead, we could spread him out on the floor. Ahhh.
Blythey Bell did wonderfully as well. She let me watch 2 movies and I even got a couple hours of zzz's. There was a lady next to me with one seat in between us and we got to chatting. It always seemed I was feeding B when our food came, to which she proceeded to cut up my food for me! And she brought me tea, and gave Brett a coupon for a free drink. She was truly an angel and I was so grateful for her thoughtfulness in serving me! I hope I can do that for a young mom one day. It was the easiest flight for me since we took H to China at 13 months old. In my opinion, babies are SO easy to fly with up to about age 1-ish to 2.5ish. I think Harrison turned the corner at right around 3, so this was such an easy flight (except for the length of it!)
We made it to Shanghai and that's where he had a tough time...he was tired and dragging. We met a chinese woman on the flight originally from our city that lives in Athens, GA! Go Dawgs! Her husband is a chemistry professor there! Anyhow, the local flight was easy, but we were exhausted. We made it to our apartment about 9 pm Wednesday night after about 26 hours since we left our door in Atlanta...we walked into a welcome home sign, some baked goods, a gift for Blythe, and some milk, eggs & yogurt in our fridge....SUCH a difference from last year. It was so nice to come home as opposed to having to find a home. I already notice such a difference in how we feel a part of things...it took a long time, but I really do feel at home here and I'm glad we're back. Who knows how this year will be? Maybe it will be another hard year, but I hope to be more thankful this time around.
I LOVE it here, but it is so very difficult at the same time. But, if home is where the heart is, then for now, China is my home on this Earth.
So grateful, and so jet-lagged, and so excited to have more time here.

No comments:
Post a Comment