I must also give a shout out to my dear friend, Blair, who also celebrates a birthday today! Happy Birthday Blair! You are the best!
I know today is a day that marks monumental loss for our nation, and as I remember that day, I do mourn, but I also celebrate...because today so many years ago is the first day I can ever remember!
Chris knows this story all too well, because it's what I love to remind him of every single year, whether over the phone or in a birthday card, or in person if I ever get that special privilege!
I don't recall a day without my younger brother in it. I know there was a time where it was just Robin (my older sister) and me, but I was too young to have made many memories from that time....But, there is truly no time that I remember without all of us in it...
My first memory that I can think back to is the day my brother was born...September 11th, 1982. I remember being at the hospital with my sister and my dad and a family friend. Robin and I were on our tippy toes (okay, maybe it was just me, she has always been the taller one) looking into a window. Maybe it was a nursery? However, at the back of the room was my Mom. She was in a rocking chair holding a bundle and smiling at him.
I remember asking my Dad, "What's that?"
He said, "That's your new baby brother."
My response...."WOW!"
And so his life began....and mine too.
It's hard to believe that day was so long ago...My mind fills with so many fond memories that it's impossible to pick just one...Chris taught me how to beat Super Mario Bros, and we spent long hours playing WallBall and selling lemonade. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I loved watching him play baseball, and he would watch me play the violin or come to my plays! And I loved driving him to school...and getting a little bit of air as we drove too fast over certain intersections in my old 1981 car! I loved watching him come to know Christ and seeing him grow into the man he is now. I think about the first time I saw hair on his chin and when he starter getting taller than me...what?? I love that I was with him on his first visit to Virginia Tech where he graduated from and met his beautiful bride, Lindsey, whom I also love.
Anywho, there are too many memories to count, both good and bad, but I had to document this day, not because it's just another birthday or even a memorial of a tragic event in US history, but because it is the day that created my first memory. I will always remember the day you were born, Chris. I love you so much and I am so glad God gave me a brother like you--He knew exactly what I needed. Happy, Happy Birthday to you!

No comments:
Post a Comment