Today was a doozy of a day...
It could be for a number of things. Brett has been gone for close to 2 weeks. Harrison and I galavanted all over Atlanta for a week and celebrated my beautiful cousin's wedding....During our time there, he got nonstop attention from many people. I wonder if he was bored with just me today.
Also, he is definitely cutting a very painful tooth. Man, he has been a pill!
And, I think to top it all off, he misses his Daddy. Gosh, I should have known it would be a long day!
Without boring you to tears with every single detail, I will say that it was the kind of day where I kept thinking "Okay, I only have this many hours until bedtime..." I hate thinking like that, but today was a survival day.
At 6:00 pm, only one hour shy of bedtime, I really didn't know how I was going to make it the last minutes of the day....so, we went outside and I let Harrison crawl around on the ground. And yes, for those of you wondering, he is STILL not walking at 17 months! So, you can imagine my cringing as I watched his hands and legs turn black. Well, as I watched my cautious yet adventurous little man crawl around, I was reminded of a prayer that I have prayed for awhile now. Some of you bloggeristas have shared prayers that you love to pray for your precious children, so I wanted to share this with you...
I pray that my sweet boy would always want to come home....not in a weird, 35-years-old-and-still-living-at-home kind of way, but I pray he would always feel so safe and loved here that it would be a place he would always be excited to come back. As he was crawling around, he would look back at me and smile to see if I was watching. I started following him and he would go farther down the sidewalk. It was like he got more and more confident when he knew I was there cheering for him. It gave him the push he needed to go further. It was really cute. I hoped so much at that moment that I would always be an encouragement to him and that, again, home would always be a place he would desire to spend hours as he grows up, when he's a teenage boy with his friends (and maybe even girlfriend--gulp!) and when he's a college man visiting over the holidays, I pray that he would find solace and comfort and FUN at our house. I pray that Brett and I can foster and encourage him in such ways that he is totally confident in who he is in Christ, and that home would be a huge part of that.
And I know I will fail, just as I did today in so many ways. I'm telling y'all he was MAD as fire at me (not his typical character). But, I'm thankful that even on days when I am just surviving, that God overwhelms me with love for this handsome little miracle that He has let me borrow for awhile.
Thank you, Lord, for letting me take care of Your child. Please let home be one of his favorite places in the world and one he always wants to come back to....I love him so much even on his worst days!
Now, if you'll excuse me, it's that time of night...when I go peek at my little angel in his sleep!

Lauren...what a precious prayer you pray for your son! You have such a wonderful sweet heart for the Lord and while as you said, you will not be a perfect parent and will make mistakes. But I pray with you that God will fill in the gaps and that in spite of those mistakes that sweet Harrison, both now and when he's 35 years old, will know how loved he is and even in that, that he'll better be able to believe in His Father in heaven's love for him because of what he receives from you & Brett. Love you girl! Corrie
ReplyDelete